Elementary School FAQs
BLIS SCHOOL TOUR INFORMATION NIGHT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
- ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FAQS
- What is the schedule for the 2017/2018 academic year? What is the cost for one year?
The schedule and cost of the program are yet to be determined for next school year.
- What are the school hours?
School Hours will be confirmed before the end of this school year. Currently, the Elementary students begin the day in their classrooms at 8:10 and are dismissed at 16:00.
- How many students will you accept for enrollment?
The total number of students accepted within our school is dependent on the number of available seats at each grade level.
- Is there a special agreement with Bilkent University for admission?
Please contact the BLIS Finance Office for information regarding admission agreements.
- Does having high IQ results, having talents in music, chess or playing the piano provide advantage in the admission process?
We look at the whole child and determine if he or she is ready socially, emotionally as well as academically. According to the research done by Howard Gardner, there are 11 multiple intelligences. Some people are strong in some of these areas and weak in others.
- What is the percentage of International students per class?
There are many nationalities within BLIS and they comprise about 20% of the school population.
- How many students will there be in a classroom?
The maximum number of students per classroom will be 16 within the Pre-Kindergarten and 18 within the Kindergarten. The maximum number of students per classroom will be 20 within grades 1 through 4.
- How many teachers will there be in the classrooms?
There are two teachers within the classroom; one international teacher and one Turkish classroom teacher.
- Are meals provided by a catering company or prepared in the school kitchen?
Meals are prepared by our catering company in our own school kitchen. The food is nutritious and well prepared with a full salad bar.
- Do you provide snacks and breakfast?
Children are provided a morning and an afternoon snack. There is fresh fruit served to the children daily. There is no breakfast served.
- Can you give us some details about the program?
We use the International Baccalaureate, Primary Years Programme (IBPYP) as our framework. The PYP is designed for students between the ages of 3 and 12 years. It is an international, trans-disciplinary programme designed to foster the development of the whole child, not just in the classroom but also through other means of learning. The PYP focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic.
- Do you encourage communication in English between children?
BLIS is a bi-lingual bi-literate school that encourages and constructs social and structured opportunities for language acquisition through the use of both the English language and the host country language.
- Do you have a separate classroom for kids from other nationalities?
Elementary classrooms are multi-national and multi-cultural.
- How will my child who does not know both Turkish or English receive additional support to learn the language?
Turkish as an Additional language (TAL), and English as an Additional Language (EAL) are support programs within our Language Programs which services students in grades 1 through to grade 4. The environment in which support for language acquisition may differ. In some instances the students may benefit from being removed from the classroom, however instruction and support may also be delivered in the classroom.
- How do you work with children who can write and read in Turkish and partially in English?
We heterogeneously group our students at BLIS. This means we do not group students according to their age, abilities and/or language skills. At BLIS we practice differentiation within the classroom. Differentiation involves providing students with different avenues to learning in terms of: acquiring content; processing, constructing, or making sense of ideas; and developing teaching materials and assessment measures so that all students within a classroom can learn effectively, regardless of differences in ability.
- Can international students get enough opportunities to learn Turkish?
International students have ample opportunities to connect with Turkish culture and learn the language. BLIS is an environment in which authentic opportunities for language acquisition occurs both within the informal social setting and within structured instruction for all students.
- Will you be teaching students how to read and write?
In elementary, we begin with phonetic awareness, simple word recognition and sentence fluency. If students can read and write, we begin at their level in reading and writing. Our language program follows a balanced literacy model where students are taught reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- Will kindergarten students read and write in English and in Turkish?
BLIS is a bi-lingual bi-literate school that instructs literacy in both the English language and the host country language.
- Our Pre-K child can read and write basic words. Do you offer an advanced program for children like him/her?
BLIS curricula are designed to reach to all students and offer them instruction that challenge and advance them as well as promoting academic achievement throughout the year.
- What kind of facilities do you provide?
The Pre-K building is located in a separate facility near the main building. A separate, remodeled 93 building is the Kindergarten. Elementary grades 1 through 4 are located in a purpose-built facility that opened in 2014 and is attached to the main building.
- Do you have special accommodations for allergies?
Working with its catering the company the school will accommodate for allergies to the best of its ability. These accommodations are handled on a case by case basis.
- What is the percentage of native speaker teachers?
Approximately half the BLIS faculty are international teachers.
- In what ways do you communicate with parents?
We communicate with parents and the community in many ways, through:
- Parent-Teacher-Student Conferences
- Report Cards
- Portfolio Presentations
- Weekly Bulletins
- Class Newsletters
- Mini Exhibitions
- Art Shows
- Student Journals
- Are the programs, methods and strategies researched based and in the best interest of the growth of the child?
The education programs administered within BLIS are best practice. We deliver an authorized and accredited International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme as well as the Diploma Programme; we are recognized by the Turkish Ministry of Education and a member of the Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Secondary Schools.
- How does BLIS monitor kids’ injuries during class time?
Students are observed throughout the day at BLIS. If a situation whereby a student was injured during class time arose one the classroom teachers would assist the child and if need be escort the child to nurses room located within the building.
- How does BLIS maintain a quality education with highly qualified teachers?
BLIS is considered one of the top international schools in Turkey. Teachers want to work in highly respected PYP schools and receive opportunities for professional development. The quality of education is maintained through the acquisition of world class, best practice methodologies and programs practiced at BLIS.
- Is it true that teachers change within the semester or during the academic year?
No. Teachers sign a two year contract and stay in their same grade levels for at least one year.
- Is there bus transportation available?
Bus transportation is provided for BLIS students by an outside contracted service bus provider. Bus service is optional and is available for an additional fee. Information is shared with all families upon enrollment.
- Could you please give information about preparation for success in national exams?
Feray Özdemir is the IB Diploma Programme Coordinator at BLIS. Information regarding high school testing can be directed to her.